An online payment gateway is one of the most sought-after technologies that the e-commerce field uses widely. As businesses move online, there is an increasing importance given to online payments. An e-commerce payment gateway ensures that customers can use different modes to make online transactions. Payments can be done in so many ways. From mobile to cryptocurrency payments, payment service providers are constantly updating and adapting payment gateways so that they can support different modes of payments.
The Most Popular Types of Digital Payments Currently
- Mobile Payments: Mobile wallets and e-wallets are the biggest contributors to the digital payment market and are estimated to be the leading form of payment for most online transactions. A mobile payment gateway is widely popular for this reason alone. Mobile payments make contactless payment transactions easier as they can be done with the use of a mobile phone.
- Internet Banking: Banking transactions can be conducted digitally now, making transactions quick and easy. Payment for online goods can be done with the help of a gateway that acts as an intermediary between the bank and the retail site.
- Social Media Payment: Social media networks are emerging as a powerful tool to promote and build successful online businesses. Retailers are recognizing the importance that social media plays especially for the visibility of a brand. To commercialize on this advantage, retailers are offering the transfer of money from one user to the next in the network.
Steps Involved in Payment Processing
- The buyer enters his/her card information on a merchant’s web source. This data is then transmitted through a payment gateway in an encrypted format to the payment processor
- The bank sends the payment data details to the card association like Visa or MasterCard
- Once the payment data has been authenticated by the card association, the authorization is passed back to the payment processor, which then sends it to the gateway
- Once the gateway has the authorization, the payment transaction becomes valid, and the order can be processed
All these steps take place within a matter of seconds. The payment to the merchant can take up to three days and depends mainly on the banks to send the payment through.
The Future of Online Payment Gateways
The most exciting trend that we are seeing for the future is the rise of cryptocurrency payments. Many payment service providers are starting to offer a crypto payment gateway as more users are starting to adopt a digital currency to make digital payments. There are many benefits of switching to a crypto payment gateway, including faster transactions and lesser processing fees compared to traditional payments. The development of blockchain technology makes the switch to cryptocurrency transactions a definite possibility in the future. Another exciting development in payment gateways is the fine-tuning of technology, to set up more accurate automatic payments, especially in the B2B space. Since there are many players now in the payment sector, we can expect to see a reduction in the costs of integrating payment gateways onto your platform.< Next post - The Relevancy of Cryptocurrency Payment Gateways in 2022 Prev post - Do You Know This About Cryptocurrency Payment Gateways? >